4.24.2009

Chocolate Seed Banana Bread

Twice a week I teach a class for toddlers and preschoolers. On Mondays I teach a playgroup and on Fridays a dance class. This is new, and quite funny to me, because those who know me certainly know that I am not a dancer! Thankfully it is more of a movement to music class and it's working out ok :)

Anyways, on these mornings I bring David to work and so the whole family has to be out the door by just after 7 am. Since Calgary is such a compact and user friendly city ( ahem) we don't have time to get back home in between class time, which starts at 9 :30 am. Hence, we need to be ready for the day when we leave. I always struggle to know what to pack for breakfasts on these days. Cate doesn't like to be rushed and doesn't wake up early enough on these days to fit in her usual oatmeal, so often it's a banana and a muffin or something. Last night I found a recipe for banana bread but revised nearly every ingredient to make it healthier. It turned out so good and I'd like to share it with you.

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 c pumpkin seeds
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c oat flour ( made by putting quick oats in a blender or food processor)
1/2 c. ground flax seed
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup of chocolate or carob chips (optional!)

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.Mash bananas. Add applesauce, sugar and seeds.
3.In a separate bowl stir together the whole wheat flour, oat flour, flax seed salt, b.p. and b.s.
4.Add banana mixture to flour mixture and stir until just mixed. Don't over stir.
5. Gently stir in chocolate chips if using.

Bake for 40-50 minutes.

The original recipe called for regular white flour, 2 eggs, walnuts ( which would also be good but I didn't have any- the seeds are a lovely addition. I think sunflower seeds would also be nice)
and much more sugar.
I chose to minimize the sugar as much as possible and then add in some carob chips instead :)

Let me know if you try it!

2 comments:

  1. I think I will try this! Sounds delicious with a wonderfully healthy twist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it does sound good! i'll just have to get some flax seed i guess :)

    ReplyDelete