4.14.2009

Food

I've been ( as in David and I) taking pictures of food for a while, saving them up for some kind of post. I've been experimenting a lot with different foods and recipes and these were some that I thought were definitely worth trying again.

This is a simple ( very, very simple) quick meal that I make when I have leftover brown rice-or any grain for that matter. It's just a matter of sauteing some garlic and onion, pan-frying chick peas until golden, adding in asparagus just to steam, and throwing it all together with some rice. The original recipe for this called for a sauce of some kind, but I can't be bothered :)

This was Saturday morning brunch. I sauteed some vegetables I had on hand- tomatoes, spinach leaves, mushrooms, red peppers, and onions- and when they were cooked through, poured 4 beaten eggs over top. I sprinkled some cheese I had in the fridge, and then set the skillet to the lowest setting. It took about 15 minutes until the egg set, but when it was finished, a lovely frittata without needing the oven.

This was a big experiment. I was reading a lot about bok choy and it's nutritional value and decided to check it out. The official Japanese name for this recipe is Yakisoba or " Bok Choy and Buckwheat noodles in a Seasoned broth". I opted not to make this a soup, but instead limited the broth and made it more of a sauce. The recipe itself was from a book called " Feeding the Whole Family: Cooking with Whole Foods" ( which I highly recommend!) It combines noodles, tofu, matchstick carrots, celery, mushrooms, and bok choy with a gingery sauce.

Brussel Sprouts and Apples:
This one I got from 101cookbooks.com, my favorite recipe site. Even if you are not a brussel sprouts fan, still give them a try- the apples and the maple syrup give them an altogether different flavor. Cate asks me to make this dish all the time!

And I just thought I'd throw this in. This is how I usually serve lunch for Cate. She calls it a "funny lunch". I throw in whatever I have on hand, but try to cover all my food groups so she has at least one serving of everything in a day. The rule is, she can have more of anything or everything if she finishes every bite. This isn't the best picture, but here I've included grapes, yogurt, carrot sticks, pumpkin seeds, corn tortillas, and yellow peppers. Obviously I didn't do great on the protein :) It's quick, it's easy and it's nutritious. I'd be happy to share specific recipes of any of the above if you are interested. Just send me a note or an email and I'll get it to you. And if anyone has any recipes for me to try, pass them on!

7 comments:

  1. Carmen,
    I went and looked on the 101cookbooks site, what a great little place! The recipes look awesome, and many of them I'm going to try. I always love when people give me good ideas of places to go to make healthy and creative food! Reading your posts about healthy, whole foods has me thinking about ways I can change our eating habits to eat better! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello carmen

    i didnt realize that you were blogging again. i will have to put you back on my blog list. i like your recipes, they sound delicious. I saw your dad today! We had a nice little chat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how can you NOT have a nice chat when you see your dad?! did they tell you they came to our church in Ladysmith when they were on Van Island? it was SUCH a suprise! i almost cried when i saw them and was sad when they left. love.

    anyways, your Sat morning brunch looked awesome - it's Kevin's favorite meal of the day, so i'll have to make this for him! i'm also interested to try the brussel sprouts & apples - i have loved 101cookbooks.com. oh and the ginger/bok choy looked REALLY good too. i think if you had time, i would like that recipe. i LOVE ginger. and i love bok choy. ok so pretty much everything looked really good. even funny lunch (how cute!).

    i'm so glad you are blogging again, i miss you a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out Mark's cooking blog where he talks about food in general and his recipe archive is chock full of tried and true yummy recipes! www.gastricadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...i'm impressed!

    i find it a daily stuggle to keep things healthy. i work so hard to make sure the kids are getting healthy meals and then i eat like garbage...ugh...

    thanks for some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yah, could i have the brussel sprout/apple recipe?

    patsypie7@hotmail.com or message me on facebook

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to find the brussel sprout/apple recipe, but wasn't sure which one you would have used. Can you send it to me? (crazyreimersatyahoodotca)

    Love the recipe ideas!!

    ReplyDelete