5.31.2010

Homemade Laundry Soap:

I'd been thinking about making my own laundry soap for SUCH a long time.  A few months ago my friend had a wee little baby girl. I had been reading things like this and this and this and for some reason the birth of her baby motivated me to finally try it out. I just couldn't imagine her tiny little baby being exposed to chemicals.  It took awhile to find the right recipe and all the ingredients, but it worked, and it was cheap, and it made a nice little addition to an all-natural baby basket for her. Since then, I've totally switched over and I'm so happy with this decision. It is absolutely shocking to me that basic household things, like laundry detergent, are filled with chemicals which harm us and our children. Maybe that sounds a bit dramatic, but do a bit of searching, and I honestly don't think you'd disagree with me.

Now, I am no expert. This recipe is just from some google searches. It works for me, but I know there are various combinations that people swear by. If you wish, try different quantities or use baking soda in place of the washing soda. I've read of people pouring vinegar in during the rinse cycle (but let's be honest, who really sits by their washing machine and waits for the rinse cycle? Um, not me.) Unfortunately, it's also not a great stain remover, but I'm working on figuring that out.  Anyways, what I'm saying is that this may not be your final answer to homemade soap but it is a really great start and I'm so happy that there are other people who want to give it a try.

This is all you need:

1 cup of Washing Soda
1 cup of Borax
1 bar of natural soap
An old grater
A few drops of essential oil (optional)

I found Washing Soda and Borax for approximately $5 per box at Superstore. As you can see, they are huge boxes and will last a very long time ( I began about 5 months ago and I've used maybe half a box of each). The natural soap took me a while to find, for some reason, but I finally came across it at Planet Organic, for a mere $1.69. I chose ginseng, but it doesn't matter too much. The soapy scent will smell strong at first, but your clothes will simply have a clean, fresh smell. If you prefer a scent to your laundry ( like I do!) simply pour a couple drops of essential oil ( this is ylang and orange blossom and patchouli) in with the water as its running. Don't try to pour it in after or you may end up with some oil stains on your clothes! (um, yeah. lesson learned).

Okay, so the process is very simple. very. Take 1 cup of washing soda, 1 cup of borax and pour it into a container. Then grate your bar of soap until it is all soap shavings. (Definitely use a different grater than you would use for your cheese as it will forever and always smell like soap from this point on).
Pour the soap shavings in with the mix of washing soda and borax. Tada. That's it. You have homemade laundry soap. Use 1-2 Tbsp per load.
I'd love to know if you try it, and if you have success with it. Or, if you tweak it and it's better, let me know about that, too. But for now, go do something more interesting than laundry.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing, Carmen! I would love to try it out! Do you use some kind of substitute for fabric softener as well--- or do you just opt out of it entirely? ( I am a sucker for soft bath towels).
    The pic of the girls in the laundry is darliing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody Davis9:14 a.m.

    Carmen! I just noticed all the updates on here. I started using the Polaroids as well! I love love love the look of it. Now, I have to snoop all over this blog and see what I've been missing.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try this! I have been trying to live more green as of late. We have a high efficiency washer and it is recommended that you use HE detergents only - would this be ok to use with my washer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ladies,

    Mila, I don't usually use fabric softener, but I will totally look it up and see if there is a solution.

    Melody, I know! I love the polaroids and that they are from a phone is unreal :)

    Raquel, that is a great question. My first thought would be that homemade detergent would be great for HE washers,because it is very mild and isn't very sudsy. I just found this, which seems to say the same.

    http://www.creators.com/advice/everyday-cheapskate/why-high-efficiency-washers-require-special-detergent.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooo, and this sounds good:

    "Regarding High Efficiency (HE) Front-Load Washers:

    You may have been told you need to use “special soap” for your HE front-load washing machine. Let me enlighten you as to why. HE front-load washers require “special soap” for one reason and one reason alone…low suds; because they use less water, they require soap that is less sudsy. The good news is, the homemade detergent in this recipe is VERY low suds. Just make sure you use the recommended amount of detergent."

    I'd say give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup of baking soda will work as both a fabric softner and will give keep clothes fresh smelling!

    Love this Carmen! You're so great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin, with the fabric softner, do you just add that right in to the load at the beginning?

    ReplyDelete