6.15.2010

The Dirty Dozen and the Clean 15

Have you heard of the Dirty Dozen? And no, I'm not talking about that one. I'm talking about a list of 12 fruits and vegetables that contain the most pesticides. I've come across this list in many places, one being in my new cookbook which my sweet husband got me for my birthday and I helped pick out.

Now that I've decided to step into the world of organic foods, albeit very slowly, I want to make the best choices. We can't really afford to buy everything organic, so I want to know that I'm spending money on things that make the most sense.  I am finding the list very helpful because it not only makes me realize that a lot of produce I eat is on the list but by rating the produce in this way, I'm also able to see which items I can buy non-organic. 

The Dirty Dozen: (Ie: Buy Organic if Possible) 

In our house? I'm going to try to eliminate these 12 altogether if non-organic is not available or too expensive to buy. This is a huge challenge for me, but you are my witnesses. Done.

  1. Celery
  2. Peaches
  3. Strawberries
  4. Apples
  5. Blueberries
  6. Nectarines
  7. Bell Peppers
  8. Spinach
  9. Kale
  10. Cherries
  11. Potatoes
  12. Imported Grapes
 From what I'm piecing together, it seems that the pesticide levels are so high in these 12 that no amount of scrubbing will remove them, and if you buy organic in just these 12 items, you can reduce your pesticide exposure CONSIDERABLY,  by up to 80%. Well, that's about all it took to convince me not to buy the 2lbs of strawberries for $1.50 that I saw at the grocery store. Celery doesn't bother me a lot, because we rarely use it. Bell peppers break my heart, because we love them so and so far Spud.ca is only carrying green ones, which, let's be honest, does anyone really love? And we've also eliminated grapes here. sad, sad.

But, there is hope: even if you can't buy organic, there is a happy list of produce that is said to be safe to eat non-organic.
I introduce you to the Clean 15:
  1. Onions
  2. Avocados
  3. Sweet Corn
  4. Pineapples
  5. Mango
  6. Sweet Peas
  7. Asparagus
  8. Kiwi
  9. Cabbage
  10. Eggplant
  11. Cantaloupe
  12. Watermelon
  13. Grapefruit
  14. Sweet Potatoe
  15. Honeydew
Bananas, tomatoes, broccoli, oranges, squash, etc. all fall in the middle somewhere, if you were wondering.

There's too much to say here, but if you want more information, check out this.  Look around the site, and seriously, watch the video. I know I'm inspired.




    3 comments:

    1. Anonymous11:47 a.m.

      Hey Carmen! I've let Kevin (our produce guru) know about your desire for more colourful bell peppers. Glad to see that you're taking on eating organic for the Dirty Dozen!

      Danielle
      spud marketing maven

      ReplyDelete
    2. Chandra2:58 p.m.

      Hi Carmen,

      Thanks for posting. I have this list on my fridge and in my wallet. We have also decided to at least buy organic for these 12 items. We are also planning to convert to organic milk but I think this will also need to come with a bit of a reduction in consumption :) The EWG also has a 2010 Safe Sunscreen list which is interesting as I discovered the Hawaiian Tropic brand I was using on the kids had their highest, most toxic rating of AVOID. They also have suggestions for safe alternatives. You should check it out as well.

      Take care.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hey Carmen.....love this artice. I've been checking your blog on and off since you commented long ago about my Kate (friends with Juanita Braun & Melissa Thiessen). Enjoy readin your blog.

      ReplyDelete